- How old do you have to be to take lessons?
From school year 1 to school year 8. ( Age from 5 to 12 year old)
- How much does it cost?
Please refer to the Lessons & Enrolments pages.
- How big are the classes?
Depending on enrolment numbers, we usually have around 4 to 12 children.
- Does the child have to do two basic years?
Most students the age of 6 plus need to take recorder for one year and then they can chose recorder, keyboard, ukulele or violin lessons for the second year. However special exemptions can be made for students who demonstrate that they can read music and who have had previous music lessons. The final decision will be at the teacher's discretion.
We also have Introduction to Music class for students who are 5 years old.
- Can children join the choir without learning an instrument?
Yes, children can enrol just for the choir. Normal yearly fees apply.
- Can home schooled children come?
- How long are the classes?
Usually 40 minutes long.
- Do we have to buy an instrument?
No, we have instruments for hire for $100 per year for the members, guitars are $30.
Recorders have to be bought, but they are inexpensive (around $10-$15).
- Where do we get recorders from?
From local music stores.
- Do we need to buy music books?
Yes. Music books is available for purchase at local music stores.
- Are there lessons during the week?
No, only on Saturday mornings between 8.00 am and 12.20pm.
- Do you teach piano?
We don't have piano lessons, but we do offer keyboard as a second basic year ( level 1 and 2).
- Do you teach individually?
No, sorry. We only teach in groups.
Music School Policies:
- Students must turn 6 years by the end of April 2021 to enrol for recorder class.
- Students must turn 5 years by the end of April 2021 to enrol for Introduction to Music class.
- Students must complete the Recorder Year 1 programme before enrolling in Ukulele, Beginner Violin, Keyboard or Recorder Year 2.
- Keyboard class provide a 2-year programme only.
- Ukulele class provides a 1-year programme only.
- For level 3 students in instruments such as Saxophone, Cello, Violin, Trumpet, Flute, Clarinet, Trombone, students required to join Orchestra or Jazz band. Orchestra time is from 10 am to 10:40 am, Jazz band is 11 am to 11:40 am on Saturdays.
- All classes have limited spaces available.
- Classes may be cancelled due to the teacher unavailability, or not reaching the minimum number of enrollments, and any refunds will be applied at the beginning of term 1.
- In a scenario where Auckland enters a COVID19 alert higher than level 1, classes will change to online classes which may include Zoom, Google Classroom or emailed information depending on the class and teacher.
- For Drum classes, there is only one drum set in the class, with practice pads available for students in the drum lessons.
- No student siblings allowed in the class.
- No food allowed in classrooms.
- Parents/Caregivers agree to allow Birkdale North Music Centre to use photos or videos of students taken during lessons, concert or performance events for training or promotional purpose.
- Students will follow the teacher instructions and classroom guidelines, if students are misbehaving or disrupting the class, teachers have a right to ask the students to leave lessons.